College Students Are On Board With AOC’s Green New Deal — Till They Hear What’s Actually In It. Their Reactions Are Priceless.
Ilhan Omar Responds To ‘Send Her Back’ Chants At Trump Rally
CNN Viewers Are Outraged At What A Black Trump Supporter Said, And They Want To Find Him
Students Say ‘Trump Quote’ On Immigration Is Super Racist — But Are Shocked When They Discover Comments Were Actually From Obama
WATCH: Omar Compares BDS Movement To Boston Tea Party — Lee Zeldin Nukes Her
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s “Green New Deal” has been receiving a lot of attention since she released the contents of the deal last week.
Yes. Many people ridiculed the deal, which featured plans to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade, but the freshman congresswoman’s proposal received support as well.
Cabot Phillips of Campus Reform ventured to the University of Miami to discuss Ocasio-Cortez’s plan with students and gauge their thoughts on the deal.
Phillips found that the majority of college students loved her proposal — until they heard what is actually in it.
You can read more about the Green New Deal here.
Here are some of the students’ more interesting responses
Phillips began by asking if students supported Ocasio-Cortez’s plan.
Those who supported it said:
- “I like that it’s progressive, that it’s gonna push the world forward.”
- “Just from knowing, like, who’s endorsed it and some, like, other little things, it sounds great.”
- “If we didn’t do that, we’d be killing ourselves basically.”
- “I definitely support this movement.”
- “I view it favorably.”
- “It’s definitely a great idea.”
- “Anything that would reduce our dependence on fossil fuels is really important.”
When he told students what, exactly, was in the deal, responses changed.
- “Sometimes you need to take extreme measures to save the environment, but I think this is too extreme.”
- “It doesn’t sound like something I would be behind.”
- “I think that’s drastic.”
- “To be honest, I think we need those things to live.”
- “I think 10 years is a little extreme.”
- “Sounds like a reach.”
- “Nah. Absolutely not.”
- “I don’t agree with us having to take away flying in the air, or taking away coal and things like that.”