The FBI had not verified any of the claims in a dossier alleging there were connections between the Trump campaign and Russia before it began investigating the campaign, former FBI Director James Comey admitted Friday.

Comey was questioned Friday behind closed doors by the House Judiciary Committee and House Government Oversight Committee. A transcript of the session was released Saturday.

The dossier was used by the FBI as its evidence that it needed to conduct surveillance on former Trump adviser Carter Page.

However, in response to a question from Republican Congressman Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, Comey said that as of the time the FBI received permission to conduct surveillance on Page, the dossier had not been verified and that any effort to verify the dossier was still being conducted several months after surveillance began.

Mostly, Comey said he could not remember key details. For example, according to the transcript, Comey could not recall how Christopher Steele, who compiled the dossier, gave it to the FBI.

“I have some recollection that he passed it to an agent that he knew and that that agent sent it on to headquarters. I think that’s the way in which it reached the Counterintelligence Division, but I don’t remember the specifics of that,” he said.

When asked what was done to verify the information, he was also vague.

“I don’t know in particular. I know that the Counterintelligence Division was investigating various aspects of the reports he had supplied, and that investigation was ongoing when I was fired,” he said.

As Gowdy repeatedly asked for specifics, Comey repeatedly turned the questions aside by saying he could not recall details.

“My understanding is that that effort — that an effort was under way to try to replicate, either rule in or rule out, as much of that collection of reports that’s commonly now called the Steele dossier as possible, and that that work was ongoing when I was fired,” Comey said, later adding, “I have some recollection, vague, of being told we’re trying to assess this to understand what we can make of it, what parts we can rely on, what parts we can’t. But I don’t — I don’t remember more than that.”

The transcript shows that Gowdy became increasingly frustrated with Comey’s responses, finally asking, “I’m going to ask you whether hearsay is ordinarily admissible in court or not.”

“Is this a quiz?” Comey replied.

“No. Well, if I didn’t think you could answer it, I wouldn’t have asked you. I know you know the answer,” Gowdy said.

After objections from Comey’s lawyer, Gowdy said the question about hearsay was relevant to the FBI using unverified information to begin surveillance, saying, “the reason that I want to ask about hearsay is the ability to rely upon information that cannot be cross-examined.”

1. Otter

December 10, 2018 at 5:03 am

HUBRIS on steroids is Comey’s game.

2. Priud vet

December 10, 2018 at 5:04 am

It’s always funny these corrupt people like call me and the Communist a.k.a. Democrat party always have brain freeze when asked a question that will incriminate them so it’s I can’t recall or I can’t recollect and this is supposed to be the smartest people in the world! Go figure, or they figure we are the stupidest people on earth which has been a statement made by one high ranking democrat during the illegal Obama care bill passage. Anytime A Republican is brought before a kangaroo communist a.k.a. Democrat court they should do the same thing I don’t recall all the way down the line every question! What’s good for the goose is good for the gander!

• Tom Kerry

December 10, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Comey is like some dirty cop out ofSerpico
      He ran the biggest Cartel money luandering bank in the world HBSC Hong kong gangster financing

Ran white collar scam stealing hundreds of millions from straving haitian after tradegy SO Called Cliton fund
      let clinton skate 4 times

3. Duane Pettengill

December 10, 2018 at 5:11 am

What a joke nobody is going to get any straight answers from him or Hillary and it is a damn shame because we know that they know the answers. Why don’t they get documentation that relates to all this that Comey signed off on and then he can’t say he doesn’t know. These people are so guilty and well protected and it makes me sick to watch this dog and pony show!

4. Frank

December 10, 2018 at 5:11 am

what a bad liar

5. L

December 10, 2018 at 5:19 am

Clearly Comey is trying to protect himself at the cost of a clear and partisan investigation. Suspect he fears retaliation. The body count is definitely growing

6. Timothy Mason

December 10, 2018 at 5:27 am

Comey Admits His FBI Didn’t Bother To Corroborate Majority of Dossier

And he being just as Culpable would?
    Why?
    A little too little a little too late!

7. Marlene deRonde

December 10, 2018 at 5:37 am

Mr. Comey can never remember anything. This is his way of getting out of telling the Truth. Maybe he should be medically tested somehow to see if he has serious memory/brain issues, then question him again. This is nonsense and should not be a valid excuse to avoid testimony. By not answering he is actually protecting criminals including himself.

8. Luciano

December 10, 2018 at 6:13 am

Comey is guilty of treason and needs to be executed. Burned alive to deter others from doing the same

9. Meyndert

December 10, 2018 at 9:40 am

The fact that he can not remember any thing was the reason President Trump had to fire him. The last thing you want as a head of a department is a person that obviously has a memory problem. Why are there any questions about the reason for firing him?

10. Ltpar

December 10, 2018 at 10:39 am

The Judges who approved the FISA Warrants need to be called before Congress and questioned under oath about their rubber stamping them without reviewing or asking relevant questions. My guess is a number of FISA Warrants pertaining to this investigation would be illegal and all evidence gathered would become void.

11. Tom T.

December 10, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I’d be shocked if it happened because Elites are not prosecuted like we commoners. But the best outcome for Comey would be to end up in General Population in a Prison. You know what happens to a Dirty Cop there…

12. Emilio

December 10, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Unquestionably this investigation has been carried out in a political way, preached by the Democratic Party and carried out by unscrupulous agents.emilio

13. Joe

December 10, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Comey is an ass

14. ON THE ROCK

December 10, 2018 at 2:36 pm

THEY SHOULD WATERBOARD COMEY. THEN HE WOULD SING LIKE A CANARY.

15. Michigander

December 10, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Hearsay is not admissible in court. You cannot cross-examine a statement that might have been made to another person. Comey must have acquired amnesia because I find it quite ironic that he was Director of the FBI and in such high authority but can’t remember anything. Of course, the dems have Ocasio-Cortez. Nuff said.

16. Yank

December 10, 2018 at 6:04 pm

There you go! Comey just admitted he is a flaming and gaping idiot that has cost Americans millions by his ignorant dismissal of common sense, if he ever had any!

17. Randie

December 11, 2018 at 1:55 pm

When then will the President and his administration be exonerated? This entire investigation was built on sand yet it’s still going on after $30 million taxpayer dollars .